How to Get Rid of a Metallic Taste in the Mouth
Almost everybody has had the experience of having a metallic taste in their mouth. When it happens, it is usually quite unpleasant. It may be the result of a sinus infection, a food allergy, or even a drug reaction. However, there are some ways to avoid it, as well as treatments that can help alleviate the problem.
During pregnancy, many women experience a metallic taste in their mouths. This is known as dysgeusia. It can be uncomfortable and is often accompanied by nausea and other symptoms. However, it is harmless and usually goes away by the time the baby is born.
Dysgeusia is caused by changes in hormones during pregnancy. It can also be caused by certain supplements. If you are experiencing dysgeusia, you should talk to your doctor. He or she can determine whether the metallic taste is related to pregnancy or not.
The best way to treat dysgeusia is to take a zinc supplement. This supplement can help you to recover your taste. However, you should also check with your healthcare provider about the dosage. You may need to change your prenatal vitamins, or you may need to try different brands.
You should also note whether or not you are experiencing other symptoms such as headaches, heartburn, or tiredness. Besides dysgeusia, you may also experience other taste changes.
If you are experiencing dysgeusia, make sure to drink plenty of water and clean your tongue. Use a mild salt solution to rinse your mouth. If this does not help, try using a baking soda solution. You may also want to brush your tongue twice a day. You can also chew sugar-free mints or citrus juices.
You can also take a multivitamin. Some of these products contain iron, calcium, zinc, or folic acid. If you are taking iron, you may experience a metallic taste. Iron supplements can also cause heartburn, upset stomach, stained teeth, and other symptoms.
You should also take a prenatal vitamin, which can be found in gummies, powder, or liquid forms. If you are taking prenatal vitamins, make sure to use them every day.
Using insecticides to kill pests may be a good idea, but they can also be hazardous to humans. For instance, some pesticides can have the ability to bind to the tongue, which can lead to a metallic taste in the mouth. This is an early warning sign that you may be exposing yourself to a potential hazard.
The best way to protect yourself from insecticides is to avoid them in the first place. To this end, pesticide labels should include information on the concentration of the active ingredients in a given pesticide. There are four main routes of exposure, including dermal (skin), inhalation (lungs), oral (mouth), and eye contact. The best way to avoid these hazards is to read the label carefully and heed the warnings on the label.
Taking steps to avoid exposure to insecticides should also include the use of a first aid kit. This should include eye wash, soap, and disposable towels. It should also include the phone numbers for emergency health centers and poison control. A small, well-stocked first aid kit can save lives.
If you are exposed to insecticides, be sure to have your doctor run a blood cholinesterase test to determine whether or not you are a potential pesticide victim. While this may not be required, it is always a good idea to test your blood cholinesterase levels at least once every two years to detect any untoward effects of your pesticide exposure. Also, if you are a pesticide user, consider using a cholinesterase testing device as part of your regular maintenance program. It will save you and your colleagues a lot of trouble down the road.
Getting a sinus infection is not pleasant. It can cause pain, pressure, and a fever. If left untreated, it can interfere with your daily life. Luckily, there are ways to get over sinus problems.
Sinus problems can include a sore throat, bad breath, a cough, and even a metallic taste in your mouth. It can be caused by an infection or an allergic reaction. But if the taste persists, you should visit a doctor.
Sinus infections are caused by bacteria and viruses. If left untreated, they can be life-threatening. A sinus infection can last from a few days to a few months. Fortunately, you can get relief with a course of antibiotics.
Sinus problems may also involve inflammation. When the sinuses are inflamed, mucus thickens. This thick mucus is not easily able to pass through the tiny openings that lead to the nose. This causes the mucus to drip into the back of the throat and irritates it. It can also make it difficult to swallow and breathe.
The sense of taste is also tied to your sense of smell. When the mucus is blocked from flowing through the channel, the taste will also be affected. If you notice a metallic taste in your mouth, see your doctor immediately.
A metallic taste in your mouth can be caused by a sinus infection, an allergic reaction, or a mouth injury. Other causes include recent oral surgery, gum disease, or food allergies.
When a sinus infection is not treated, it can leave you with permanent damage to your taste buds. The best way to treat sinus problems is to get an evaluation from an ENT specialist. This type of doctor will perform a scope inside your nostrils to determine the cause of the infection. They will also recommend nasal sprays to help reduce symptoms.
During chemotherapy, a person may experience changes in taste, which can be unpleasant. This is one of the more common side effects of chemotherapy. It can also interfere with eating habits and the patient’s quality of life. Fortunately, there are some remedies to reduce this effect.
Some of the most common chemotherapy drugs that cause a metallic taste include cisplatin, carboplatin, and vincristine. Patients should avoid eating foods that may be contaminated with chemotherapy drugs. It is also important to maintain good oral hygiene, especially in patients receiving biologic therapies.
Although metallic taste is common during chemotherapy, there has been little study of its impact on dietary intake. It may be a sign of poor nutrition.
It is important to eat foods that you enjoy. Foods that are sour and sweet can mask the taste. A dietitian may be able to help with this. Adding spices and herbs may also help to reduce the metallic taste.
Cancer patients can minimize the effects of metallic taste by eating foods that are sweet and sour. It is also important to drink plenty of water. Adding citrus to water may also reduce the metallic taste.
Patients may also be at risk for metallic taste if they have concomitant radiotherapy. Radiation therapy damages the oral cavity.
One study found that a woman’s taste sensitivity is significantly greater than a man’s. Women were more likely to report a metallic taste than men. It is not known why gender differences occur.
Regardless of the cause, metallic taste can be minimized by using plastic utensils and avoiding fatty foods. People may also find relief by adding spices and acid.
Patients may also be at risk for dysgeusia, a severe change in taste. Dysgeusia can occur suddenly or develop over time. Patients may also experience increased water intake, which may lead to polyuria and incontinence. It is important to let patients know about this side effect.
Liver or kidney disease
Among the many symptoms of kidney and liver disease, metallic taste in the mouth is a common symptom. It is an indication that your kidneys are malfunctioning.
There are many different causes of metallic taste in the mouth. The best treatment depends on the underlying cause. If you think you may have a kidney or liver disorder, talk to your doctor. He or she may prescribe medication or arrange for an imaging study.
A metallic taste in the mouth can also be caused by sinus issues. Typically, the taste will subside as the sinus problem clears up. You can also find a dentist who will prescribe a saliva substitute.
Uremia is another common cause of a metallic taste in the mouth. Uremia occurs when the kidneys cannot filter the waste from the body. The waste builds up and causes a metallic taste and bad breath. In severe cases, it can cause nausea and vomiting.
Kidney failure, high blood pressure, and diabetes can also cause a metallic taste in the mouth. You may also find it difficult to swallow certain foods or may have a decreased appetite.
Another common cause is iron or zinc deficiency. When a person is not taking sufficient amounts of zinc or iron, their liver may fail. This causes the oxidation of salivary protein, resulting in a metallic aftertaste.
A metallic taste in the mouth may also be a symptom of Guillain-Barre syndrome, an autoimmune disorder. This condition can cause the brain to not recognize certain flavors. You may also have a metallic taste in the mouth as a side effect of the medication.
Kidney failure can cause a metallic taste in the mouth as if you’re drinking a diluted version of ammonia. In severe cases, the metallic taste can cause a dry mouth.
Health A to Z. (n.d.). HSE.ie. https://www2.hse.ie/az/
U.S. National Library of Medicine. (n.d.). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
Directory Health Topics. (n.d.). https://www.healthline.com/directory/topics
Health A-Z. (2022, April 26). Verywell Health. https://www.verywellhealth.com/health-a-z-4014770
Harvard Health. (2015, November 17). Health A to Z. https://www.health.harvard.edu/health-a-to-z
Health Conditions A-Z Sitemap. (n.d.). EverydayHealth.com. https://www.everydayhealth.com/conditions/